The Original Blog O' Jean

Also known, at various life stages, as Random Thought Process, RitalinJunkie, and JeanJeanie.Net.

Thursday, October 21, 2004

Everyone seems to be excited about somebody's red socks today. I don't get it.

But seriously. I can't even force myself to care about sports. I love a good underdog story as much as the next person, but there's a distinct pattern today of people asking me, "Did you watch the game last night?" to which I reply, "Nope," at which point they go on to describe it as my eyes glaze over and I start mentally going over my To Do list. I just. Don't. Care.

I do care about politics, as far as deciding who I'm going to vote for, which I still haven't done. I don't discuss them much, mainly because most of my online friends and acquaintances are much more liberal than I am and they can get scarily hostile and I don't care enough to engage in lengthy, heated debates. But I'm starting to worry that I haven't made up my mind yet. I probably won't, either, until I'm standing in the booth on November 2. Politically, I'd describe myself as moderate with conservative leanings; but I also don't believe that it's the government's place to legislate personal morality. So I don't let myself get swayed by the moral issues. I'm not as informed about the war as I should be, either. These days I get most of my news from The Daily Show and my LiveJournal flist, both of which are pretty slanted. So my main concern that I'll probably base my vote on is the economy, and I just don't think I can bring myself to vote for a president under whom jobs have declined and the national deficit has increased. Problem is, I'm not sure I believe that Kerry can dig us out of this hole we're in. And like most good moderates, I can see the good and the bad in both sides of every issue, and in both of the major party candidates. So, yes. I'm still undecided. And really tempted to just stay in bed with my head buried under the covers on election day. I'm not sure I can handle the responsibility.

And here endeth my political post for this half of the decade.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home